Jan 28, 2010

day 66... homeless for a day!

day 66... and today i was homeless all day long, Benrik had guidelines as to what was acceptable to take on my trip.. this was based on how i had dealt with the homeless in the past, now although i ocasionally give to the homeless,  i havnt always been massively sympathetic. I used to tremble with glee at the question.. "alright mate can you spare 20p for a cup of tea?" without delay they would recieve said coin... along with a prolonged look and then a "well.. wheres my cup of tea?" This for me and the boys was hillarious, less funny for the poor homeless dude i imagine , But to be fair you dont really care about that in your mid teens.(maybe that was just us)

The guidlines as to what you may take were as follows:-
 If you regularly give to the homeless  - a sleeping bag, comfy walking shoes and a 5er.
If you occasionally give to the homeless  -  some woolen gloves,and a blanket
If you never give to the homeless -  a flea ridden sheet, a broken unbrella and foreign coins.

So on bitterly cold and moist morning, and still feeling particularly ill i headed for home for the day, the streets of seaton carew. Not being able to put myself in any of the categories comfortably i took no woolen gloves or bed equipment, but i did wrap up warm and put a fiver im me sky rocket (beggars always have at least that much) Today the streets were my home, and although i wouldnt be begging i did take a sign, just to let people know i was hungry... not hugely but i could certainly have done with a littke something.


So here you see me on the prom prom prom (there was no sign of any brass band  playing tidely om pom pom) I am sharing my sign with the general public, i spent time on the beach,chilling on benches.. drinking the odd hot drink while sitting outside shut down shops.

Here you see me, board on show, having a  rest on a bench, (check out the borrowed beastly body warmer, and homeless man hat) It was tough finding a bench that wasnt either full of chilling seagulls or their recycled diet. It was crazy cold out there after a couple of hours, and i started to feel a little sorry for myself being out in the cold while feeling so ruff, but to be fair homeless people probably dont feel tip top most of the time, you know with all that living and sleeping outside business. I was gaining a real understanding of the life of a hobo.

I carved a very intricate and atractive design into the sand highlighting the plight of the homeless , after making it for a good 20 mins i was devestated to discover that my batteries had died, and so no photograph was possible.


Here i am back at home later in the day, thawing out, and feeling happy that i could relax in the warm cozyness of my bed chamber . Did i truly gain a new respect for the homeless and the conditions they contend with? Yeah i think i probably did, does it make the 20p for a cup of tea joke any less funny? NO

I was indeed homeless for the day- bosh!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's hard to truly identify with a homeless person knowing that at the end of the day you will be home in your nice toasty bed. This should have been a full 24 hour exercise to make it truly real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i was feeling like a human being it might have been, but im half dead so youll get what your given.. haha

    ReplyDelete